We're putting the band back together!
With 2016 well underway, it's time to start putting together all the elements for the West Coast Invitational.
Stay tuned as we get the big ball rolling!
We were very proud to meet with Members of the Board of the Robla Education Foundation, the beneficiaries of the proceeds from the 2015 West Coast Invitational. An extremely grateful group! The WCI was, essentially, a first year event (new concept, new name, new layout) and we were extremely grateful to the early adopters who stepped up to try the new concept out. While attendance was lower then we were expecting, we were still proud to donate $4,000 to the Foundation.
Robla is using the funds for their Strings Program - a program that gives the benefit of world-class music education to disadvantaged youth.
We are all thankful to everyone involved in the WCI and the Robla Education Foundation is looking forward to an exciting 2016!
The inaugural Commercial Craft Competition has come and gone... the triple blind tasting of this BJCP Sanctioned event was a combination of seriousness and just good old fun. I mean, who can beat sitting around tasting beer after beer after beer?!?!
We are truly thankful to all the volunteers who joined us as judges, stewards, cellar masters and of course the competition coordinator Mike Brennan, who's expertise and professionalism are second to none.
And here are the winners... (see Best of Show here).
Light Lagers to Light Hybrids
1) 101 North Brewing Golden Naked Al (Blonde Ale)
2) River City Brewing Sactown Gold (German Pilsner)
3) Ninkasi Brewing Lux (Munich Helles)
Pales, Irish/Scottish, American Ale, American Brown
1) Oak Park Brewing Broadway Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)
2) Golden Road Brewing Get Up Offa That Brown (American Brown Ale)
3) River City Brewing Woodenhead (American Amber Ale)
1) Firestone Walker Parabola (Imperial Stout)
2) Six Rivers Brewery Macadamia Nut Porter (Robust Porter)
3) Ninkasi Brewing Oatis (Oatmeal Stout)
1) Heretic Brewing Co Evil Cousin (Imperial IPA)
2) Dust Bowl Brewing Therapist (Imperial IPA)
3) Out of Bounds Two-Headed Rooster (Imperial IPA)
1) Monk’s Cellar Biere Blanche (Witbier)
2) Golden Road Brewing Golden Road Hefeweizen (Weizen/Weissbier)
3) Monk’s Cellar Saison (Saison)
Fruit, Spice/Veg/Herb, Wood, Specialty
1) Dust Bowl Brewing Barrel Aged Rye Baltic Porter (Wood-aged Beer)
2) Dust Bowl Brewing Coconut Vanilla Scotch Ale (Specialty Beer)
3) Dragas Brewing Co Weisse Apple (Fruit Beer)
1) Firestone Walker Easy Jack (Session IPA)
2) Monk’s Cellar Hop Shoot (Session American Pale Ale)
3) Out of Bounds La Matadora (Session Pale Wheat Ale)
AND FINALLY, the CIDERS... The West Coast Invitational is striving to be a Craft festival that promotes the art of the craft for both breweries and cideries. We hope the cider category continues to expand in future competitions.
BEST OF SHOW - CIDER
1) Two Towns Ciderhouse Cherried Away
(Made with Oregon-grown sour cherries and whole Hibiscus)
2) Sonoma Cider Company The Anvil
(Common cider infused with bourbon essence)
3) Common Cider Lemon Saison
(Tart sweet apple infused with citric notes)
If you didn't get a chance to try any of these at the West Coast Invitational, make it your mission to find them and try them. That's an order. ;-)
The creation of the West Coast Invitational coincided this year with the inaugural West Coast Invitational Commercial Craft Competition. Held at the future home of Sactown Union Brewery, the competition was limited to those breweries that were attending the West Coast Invitational the next day. Here are the results for Best Of Show! We will post the full list of winners shortly....
BEST OF SHOW
A partial list has been released of the upcoming West Coast Invitational. Check it out...
Sactown Union Brewery, East Sacramento, CA
21st Amendment Brewery, San Francisco, CA
Golden Road Brewing, Los Angeles, CA
Lost Coast Brewery, Eureka, CA
Track 7 Brewing, Sacramento, CA
Firestone Walker Brewing, Paso Robles, CA
Ninkasi Brewing, Eugene, OR
Nectar Creek Meadery, Corvallis, OR
Jackrabbit Brewing, West Sacramento, CA
Lagunitas Brewing, Petaluma, CA
American River Brewing, Sacramento, CA
2 Towns Ciderhouse, Corvallis, OR
Ol' Republic Brewery, Nevada City, CA
Green Flash Brewing, San Diego, CA
Oak Park Brewing, Sacramento, CA
High Water Brewing, Pittsburg, CA
Common Cider Co., Drytown, CA
Dust Bowl Brewing, Turlock, CA
Karl Strauss Brewing, San Diego, CA
Anderson Valley Brewing, Boonville, CA
Speakeasy Ales & Lagers, San Francisco, CA
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, CA
Ballast Point Brewing, San Diego, CA
New Helvetia Brewing, Sacramento, CA
101 North Brewing, Petaluma, CA
Heretic Brewing, Fairfield, CA
Out of Bounds Brewing, Rocklin, CA
Yolo Brew, West Sacramento, CA
New Glory Craft Brewery, Sacramento, CA
Six Rivers Brewery, McKinleyville, CA
Monk's Cellar, Roseville, CA
Hoppy Brewing, East Sacramento, CA
Dragas Brewing, Rocklin, CA